Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mommy's Worst Night


Unfortunately, Caroline has already seen the inside of the Emergency Room. On July 29th, I was preparing Caroline's bath as I always do, but it did not end as it normally did. As I was filling the water in the tub and probably paying a little too much attention to it, Caroline rolled off the counter-area and fell to the floor. Unfortunately, at 5 months old, you can't brace yourself with your hands, so she took the full brunt of the fall on her head. I was hysterical with fear especially when I realized that she had hit the base of the toilet. I immediately picked her up and after determining that she was not bleeding or cut open, I called for help and applied ice to her forehead. Luckily, my co-worker, Jackie, came to my aid and drove us to the hospital.


Naturally, Tom was working that night, but as soon as he received the phone call, he rushed to our side. Caroline had a CT scan and it was determined after about 5 hours in the ER that there were no internal injuries. I breathed a sigh of relief but can't get the image out of my head. It will be with me forever. I never ever want to go through something like that again! All I can say is, she was such a trooper! Aside from crying in hunger or fear of the CT scan, she was very cooperative and never even bruised. Needless to say, I have changed how I do things when it comes to Caroline. This was a rude awakening, and if it hasn't happened to you, you should be thankful and heed this warning.

No comments: